Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Day 7- Day Trip to Nara.





"Why do you have to point out how stupid everyone is all the time?"


We wake up super early for breakfast. My French toast is weird. Take 8:50 train to Nara.

JAPAN 471



JAPAN 468

Loud ass Americans spoil ride by talking loudly and using excessive profanity non-stop for the entire ride. When we get off the train French Boy and I ice grill the dude that was talking the loudest. If only facial muscles could kill we would both be in a Japanese prison right now.

JAPAN 469


JAPAN 409


We walk to the park tourism office to grab a map. Its so damn far that I have to stop for a break and buy a refreshingly delicious peach soda with ice out of a vending machine before we arrive. The guide books never tell you that every site is a 25 minute walk uphill.

We finally reach the tourism office and the people are SO SO SO nice. And two volunteer guides speak English. They offer to give us a free guided tour of the entire park, but we are anti-social and want to wander around at our own pace.

JAPAN 462

JAPAN 412


So we set out to find the big Buddha. There are deer EVERY freaking where begging for food and scaring the hell out of unsuspecting kids.


Also, did you know that deer make weird ass squeaky noises like squeeze toys?

I am very much freaked out by this.

JAPAN 422


JAPAN 458



Finally we make it to the Zen garden.

JAPAN 432

Why the hell do I keep paying to see gardens when I don’t really like nature that much?

JAPAN 427


At least we enjoy the enormous fish in the tiny ponds.




We wander around until I am bored to tears. Then continue on to the big Buddha.

Its freakishly large and calm. The place is a madhouse though. French Boy takes a few pictures. I’m too tired to care.

JAPAN 483


JAPAN 480



My feet hurt. I sit and stare at other people trying to get photos of the Buddha.

JAPAN 481

We had around the back of the Buddha and watch people, mostly children squeeze through the whole in the temple column to get enlightenment.


JAPAN 489



Some skinny woman crawls through and everyone claps when she makes it. Its hilarious.

JAPAN 488


We head back to the train station---30 minute walk. Luckily downhill now. We stop and look at Souvenir stands. The little old Japanese sales guy sees me looking at headbands with the Japanese flag and some writing and says: “You no want. That is for Japanese kamikaze!” Then he tries to sell me a deer antler head band instead. I buy neither.


JAPAN 496






JAPAN 437

JAPAN 440



JAPAN 443



JAPAN 446




JAPAN 442

We finally make it to the train just in time. Arrive in Kyoto in time for dinner ---sushi again! Then realize that there is another sushi restaurant just opposite the one we’ve eaten at twice.

JAPAN 382


We should have tried the other for variety---but we don’t care we’re tummies filled and we’re all sushied out now. We try to find an internet cafĂ© with no luck. So we take the bus to the shopping district.

JAPAN 378


I buy pink geisha socks and then we have coffee. I shop for a hat. The Japanese love hats. See I’m already almost Japanese! I can’t find a hat that’s right for me. Blah! We find a 100 yen shop by accident. I buy 800 yen worth of crap and then forget immediately what I bought. We catch the bus back to the hotel then fall asleep


No comments: