Monday, July 09, 2007

Another Paris Art Weekend.

Dude.

Let me explain something to you: I never get tired of seeing the Eiffel Tower. Just...Never!

I giggle EVERY time. Ya know?


Paris weekend 036


One of the best things about living in the Europe is being able to jump on a train or a low-fare flight and get to just about any major European capital in a matter of hours. Last weekend my adorable FrenchBoy bought us 2 round trip tickets on the TGV to Paris. Of course we hadn't planned on this being another one of our famous "Art Trips", but we saw this poster in a Metro station and I almost jumped for joy!

Paris weekend 032


Much to my surprise, the retrospective Kara Walker: My Complement, My Enemy, My Oppressor, My Love, which began at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, is currently on view at ARC/Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris.

Paris weekend 063

"With one foot in the historical realism of slavery and the other in the fantastical space of the romance novel, Walker’s nightmarish fictions simultaneously seduce and implicate the audience. Walker’s work has been exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, and the Whitney Museum of American Art. "

Oh, and did I mention that she won the MacArthur Foundation "genius" grant before her 30th birthday? Needless to say Kara Walker fascinates me. And there is nothing more satisfying than finally getting to see first hand the work of another artist whose work you have admired from afar for a very long time. It was such an unexpected treat!




Paris weekend 064


Besides all the art stuff, we of course did alot of eating. I had to take a photos of our Saturday lunch bill. If you look closely you will see that I ordered: "Ass Frites". Yum!



Paris weekend 077


After lunch we did some shopping. It is after all Les Soldes! (Please see Why I heart France: Reason #7) I managed to find a necklace and earring set on sale, and then the sales girl gave me the "sistah girl discount": you know, she accidentally rung up an extra 10% at the register which ended in me having a 55% total discount. Yeah! I also scored a not so on sale Cécile Jeanne necklace, earring, and bracelet set.

JBCC


I'm going through a bird phase with my artwork and the second I saw these I just had to have them. I literally squealed with delight. ( I do alot of that.) We had to get a second mortgage on the new apartment, but who cares? Baby needs Bling! I got this set but in silver of course because when I wear gold around my neck I feel like an 80's rapper or something.

ccj



So that's that. And the moral of the story is: You too should marry a Frenchmen because they take you on fabulous weekend jewelry shopping trips to Paris and feed you pastries inspite of your ever expanding waisteline.

FIN.

1 comment:

Angry Black Woman said...

LMAO! Love the last statement! I need to start looking for a frenchman!