Thursday, September 20, 2007

All's Well That Ends Well.

Wednesday was just one of those days. I woke up feeling unrested and a bit anxious. Between planning new work, sending out applications, and moving into our new home, I was really feeling a bit stressed and out of sorts. That tiny grain of anxiety began to grow, and grow, and grow. By Noon I knew I was in trouble, and there was only one thing to do.


Wednesday Sept 19 023




I jumped in my car and drove 90 kilometers to Nancy to one of the only Office Depot stores in this region of France. I’m not sure how to explain it: Some people meditate or do yoga when they get stressed out. Me, I go to the office supply store. There is something about rows and rows of perfectly organized paper, pens, desk organizers, and file folders that puts my mind at ease. For a control freak with a paper fetish, Office Depot is Mecca. It’s organization through osmosis. I didn’t even need anything from Office Depot, I just needed to be in the Office Depot. Of course as usual I wandered up and down each and every aisle of the store and tried out all the office furniture, and then after an hour I left empty-handed. Ok, I snagged a few free catalogs just in case I needed a fix later.

After my little road trip, I made it back home just in time to hang out with Mademoiselle R and Christoph in Nilvange. They suggested I stop by for a reception that was being held for some art I think. Except I didn’t see any art, only some photos of piles of dirt being projected on the wall. I wasn’t paying much attention. I really only came for the good company and the free champagne.


Wednesday Sept 19 026


And while we were sipping our free champagne, out of nowhere the Mayor just came up to us and shook our hands. I guess he was thanking us for coming?

So over –all, not a bad ending for a day in France that started out pretty crappy.

Go figure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww I didn't know you were feeling anxious :(

Nice pic of Christophe with the sausages and cherry tomatos! It's making me hungry..

Travel said...

I understand the Office Depot thing, I have two desks, normally piled inches deep (plus a work table in my office-office: as opposed to my home office) and there are days when thinking about organizing it all, just makes me feel like I have accomplished so much.

David

Anonymous said...

I love this post. So honest and human.

Madame K said...

DM- In all fairness, unless I say otherwise you can assume I am feeling anxious....at all times....always.

David- Sometimes just thinking about cleaning off my desk raises my blood pressure.

Sam-Just a day in the life... *deep sigh*

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Just wanted to say I enjoy reading your blog. I have a French passport but I want to make the expat move to Rome.

How long have you lived in France? Was it a tough adjustment? Did you move by yourself or were you already married to zee Frenchman? Sorry for the zillion questions, I'm trying to figure out what to do.